Friday, October 21, 2011

From Generation to Generation

Well, so far I have introduced you to my paternal grandparents and my parents, however, I failed to introduce you to my maternal grandparents.  I certainly would not be who I am if it were not for them, so I humbly apologize for the gross oversight.  


Sorry Grandma and Grandpa!  

OK, now that I have cleared my conscience, let's move forward.
  
As I told you before I have two beautiful children, who are not only my children - they are my best friends. We have had some wonderful times together, but believe me raising two children alone is not always a party! Would you like to get to know them?  Well let me tell you a little about them.

   
Derek (The Big Brother)

What words can I use to describe Derek?  Let me see, on one hand he is a hard working family man and the family poet.  On the flip side he is fun loving, outgoing, and the life of the party.  If any of you know Derek, you know that his personality can brighten your darkest day.  Even as a child, he never met a stranger - he could and would strike up a conversation with anyone who would listen.  I can remember his grandmother saying when he was very young he would say to her "Granny, let's talk"  - her response would be "talk about what baby" and his response would be "anything".  Get the picture?!!

Adrienne (The Little Sister)

Adrienne is like the still water that runs deep!  She is the artist in the family, her work is phenomenal.  I have always considered her the visionary.  At a young age she came to me and announced "when I grow up I am going to live on an island" - did she do it?  Yes, she did.  Her artistic skills just keep surfacing and she never ceases to amaze me.  Unlike her brother who wanted to talk, when she was a child she was pretty quiet, she wanted to draw.   Her grandmother saved the brown craft grocery bags and the cardboard from her pantyhose for her "baby" to draw on.

  Ain't They Grand...
Oh my goodness, I could talk about my grand children forever, but I will try and be as brief as possible.  Those of you who do not have any grandchildren may not understand the excitement and joy that mine bring me.  Let me see if I can describe how they make me feel.  Imagine falling asleep during the midst of a storm - dark clouds, strong winds, lightning and thunder, torrential rains...and when you wake up your find yourself lying on a white sand beach, the bluest sky and water you have ever seen, the air smells clean and fresh, and you hear music in the air - sounds wonderful doesn't it.  I get that feeling each time I think of my Grands.  Let me introduce them to you.

Derek II (Handsome isn't he?)
This is Derek's oldest - my very first grandchild.  When he was born I decided that I wanted to call him "DJ" - thinking he would be Derek, Jr., however he is Derek II.  I don't care - he is still "DJ" to me.  He is the family's track star!!!  Watch for him, he is going to go far (and fast).  This is his first year in college and his track coaches see so much potential in him.  So keep your TV set tuned in to ESPN - and be on the look out for my "DJ".  

Jena Phoenix
This is Adrienne's oldest - my very first granddaughter.  We've always said that she has the soul of an elder.  Like her mother, she is quiet, creative and a visionary.  She loves ballet and has been a student of ballet since the age of two.  Her love for ballet is impressive.  Like a professional she is ready to dance under almost any circumstance.  I can remember her not wanting to miss her dance class even though she was sick and feverish and I say that her determination to succeed will take her far.  She is my "Jena P". Look out Alvin Ailey and Dance Theater of Harlem - Jena is on her way.

Ashni
Adrienne's second daughter.   Ashni, Ashni, Ashni - personality plus!!!  Her zest for life is unbelievable.  She loves the outdoors - rain, snow, hot, cold - no matter, she will take it on.  I think the most interesting thing about Ashni is her questionable fashion sense.  She loves leggings, rubber boots, saddle oxfords, neck ties, hats, prints, patterns, stripes, etc...and can put together the most interesting outfits.  I love it Ashni - rock it girl!!!  She is also a dancer (ballet and whatever else the music makes her body do), in addition to being the family skateboarder.   Seems to me that Ashni's future can hold anything from fashion, to dance to extreme sports!!!

Zuri
This is Derek's daughter and much like her father - she is a talker.  She is the "girly girl" - loves pinks, sparkles, glitter and shine (take note of the pink sequin bag in the pic).  She is a true "daddy's girl".  She lives for lip gloss, nail polish, jewelry, and hair decorations.  She is also the "Techie" (computers, cell phones, i-pods, etc.) and loves music and dance.    As the grandmother who is not really on top of the current music rage, I think I have heard her listen to Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber (hope the spellings are correct).  I can only think that whatever the future holds for Zuri it must be high tech, pink and sparkly!!    

Bijou
Bijou, Adrienne's third daughter.  Which Bijou would you like to meet? - there are several of them.  There is the cute lovable Bijou that you see in this pic and then there is the dark side of Bijou.  She is super smart, but she is also super moody!!!  She thrives off attention but must control when she wants that undivided attention. The thing I love most about Bijou is that she is so unpredictable, which requires me to stay on my toes.  Just look at the face, those big bright eyes and that infectious smile - she is beautiful.  Gotta love some Bijou!!!

Zion
Zion is Adrienne's baby girl.  She is such a joy!!!  Although she is only two years old, she can carry on the most interesting conversations.  When she was younger and just learning to talk, her attempt to say "Granny" came out as "Reelee".  I loved to hear the sound of her little voice outside my bedroom door saying "Reelee, opeee door."  I think she is advancing so quickly, because she has three older sisters who she mimics, but she certainly has a personality all her own.  There can only be one Zion!!!

Well, these are my children and grandchildren.  They keep me motivated to be the very best mother and grandmother that I can be.  Oh, by the way, for those of you who don't know me:
HI!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment